Friday, April 18, 2014

Digital Storytelling with Animoto


Today I tried out Animoto to make a short video that could be used in an EFL classroom. I really liked the site because I found it easy to navigate and making my video was quite simple and quick. Also, the various options for music, styles and text mean that I can customize the videos I create. On the downside is the short length of the free videos, thirty seconds is rather limiting. Depending on how much I would use this tool in class I might consider a paid membership so that I could have even more options.

The video I made is meant teach the simple future tense using the prompt "What will you do this summer?" I think that short thirty second videos can function well in the EFL classroom as "hooks" to grab student interest and attention using visual stimulus rather than just orally stating the topic or question. Also, the video could be used as a lead in to small class discussions as a way to activate students' prior knowledge of the subject that is going to be addressed in class. In these instances a long video is not really necessary so even the free version could be utilized. Another consideration is that depending on the level of the students a short video could be preferable so as not to overwhelm them with too much content. One feature that I think would make this a more education friendly tool is if there was an option for incorporated spoken audio text. Then students would be utilizing both listening and reading skills, besides providing practice in each area this would also aid those students who may different learning styles.



Summer Vacation is Here

1 comment:

  1. Your idea of using this type of photo show as a "hook" would work very well. I do agree with you that having a voice component would be a useful feature.

    ReplyDelete